NITROUS OXIDE A.K.A. LAUGHING GAS
Stress, fear and phobia frequently keep people from visiting the dentist. Nitrous oxide sedation is a form of anxiety control to make treatment more pleasant and comfortable for you and your children. It offers a modern alternative to general anesthesia for most dental procedures.
Nitrous Oxide is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which you can breathe.
After about five minutes, most patients begin to experience a light and easy feeling that spreads throughout the body. Your dentist will adjust the dose as needed to keep you comfortable. Once we stop administering the gas, the effects from the nitrous oxide subside within a few minutes. Our dental team will put you at ease by talking softly and explaining the process to you in full. Although you may feel a little drowsy, you will stay conscious at all times.
THERE ARE MANY ADVANTAGES TO USING NITROUS OXIDE
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover”.
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 5 minutes its relaxation properties set in.
Please call the office at 847-392-4270 to see if you are a right candidate for nitrous oxide sedation.