Dental Exams and Cleaning
Why do I need a Dental Cleaning and Exam?
You take care of yourself and your family by trying to exercise, eat well, and get plenty of rest. We’d like you to add caring for your oral health to your regimen and we’d like to be your partner!
Research has shown and experts agree that there is a correlation between poor oral health and chronic inflammatory diseases such as: cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and other problems such as: stroke, premature and low birth weight. Seeing us at Mount Prospect Smiles for regular dental cleanings will help to keep your teeth and gums healthy, which will also help with management of these other problems. The American Dental Association recommends cleanings and exams twice per year.
What is involved in a Professional Dental Cleaning?
At Mount Prospect Smiles dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis, or prophys ) are performed by one of our experienced Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease.
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
- Flossing: Your dental hygienist will carefully floss between the teeth and discuss your home flossing regimen to advise and improve if necessary.
- Flouride treatment: Typically, a fluoride treatment is recommended to strengthen the enamel and bone
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by Dr. Avanti Sanghavi at your continuing care (prophy) dental visit. At regular check-up exams, Dr. Avanti Sanghavi and your hygienist will include the following:
Oral examination: The most basic dental examination carried out will involve taking the mouth mirror into the mouth and going over all the teeth to detect signs of disease and wear. It will involve visual inspection, palpation, percussion and thermal tests (when deemed necessary by the dentist)
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Included in this dental check up is the routine teeth cleaning. Teeth cleaning procedures are required regularly if you want to maintain the health of your teeth and gums. This procedure involves the scaling of both supragingival and subgingival areas around the teeth, in order to properly get rid of adherent plaque and calcular deposits. It is also effective in removing superficial stains from food, cigarette, coffee and others.
If you are living in an around Mount Prospect, Arlington Heights or Des Plaines, then book an appointment today with us.